Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Little Bedside Cabinet Makeover

I found this little gem yesterday (at my favourite thrift shop of course)...for $2.50. I mean, c'mon....what can you ever buy for $2.50? A latte? Maybe a muffin? In this case, a hideous little dark brown/shiny cabinet full of potential :)  I am so awful at remembering to take "before" pictures!!! I just can never wait to get stuck right in, and it's usually because I'm trying to get a whole piece finished during naptime. Today I was lucky...I got it done! And it looks so darn cute in Toby's bedroom. 



I mixed up another "custom" colour, from leftover paint cans in the garage. It was a mix of baby blue/black/white/celery green. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. 

To add a little interest, I taped off a sort of "checkerboard" design on the top, and painted it with my favourite blue-grey colour from the dining hutch. 


I sanded the edges for a distressed look, and added these gorgeous Anthro knobs I found on sale for $2.95! I showed Toby the three different sets of knobs I had to use, and he picked these ones :) He said they matched the best. Haha....I love how my boy can coordinate a furniture re-do!



I think it fits in perfectly in his room! Right under the cute little wooden vintage coat/hat rack I found a few weeks back (yes..you guessed it...thrift shop again). It's hand painted and I love it!














Total cost : $8.40 :)



I sometimes share my projects at: Shabby Nest's  Frugal FridayBeyond the Picket Fence (Wednesday), Funky JunkMy Backyard Eden( Wednesday) , Tatertots and Jello (Weekend wrap-up), Somewhat Simple (Thursday), Seven Thirty Three (Thursday), My Romantic Home (Friday), Miss Mustard Seed (Furniture Friday), Fingerprints on the Fridge (Friday)


31 comments:

  1. How totally cute and thrifty is its middle name!
    Kristine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve major kudos for this one. AMAZING! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bit of amazingness almost makes me wish I had small children again...almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, $2.50??? That's ridiculous! Awesome job, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! What a bargain. It turned out so good. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing find! And you got it done in 1 nap time? You are amazing! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really do amaze me my friend....where in the world would you find such a piece for that little amount...you have a great eye my friend...pure inpiration ...thats what you are. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, first of all: It looks awesome. And $2.50? Fabulous. But secondly? I can't believe you finished the whole piece so quickly! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a steal and it turned out perfectly. And I absolutely love the vintage kiddie rack above! They really do look amazing together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute cute cute..I love thrifting, here in Langley I love Sally Ann ..where do you go thrifting? take care..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Tracey, I so want to come shopping with you at your thrift store!! That cupboard is soooo cute!! I love the colour and those knobs!!(Toby is one clever little boy!!). It looks perfect in his room. Your makeovers are always so amazing!!! I love it. Wishing you a lovely day ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing find!.................he is so nice !!

    Good done!!

    Have a great sunny day hugs from me......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very very cute. I want your thrift store near me. You are the makeover queen. You can see such potential in things I would just walk straight past. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is cute! Love those knobs. He did do a great job coordinating the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These knobs are amazingly gorgeous, Tracey!

    Have a great weekend, hope there will be a lot of sunshine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trace- This looks SO cute! You have such an eye ;) I'll have to take a peek around "your" thrift store one of these days- but finds like that are one of a kind! Glad to see Mr. Froggy made an appearance.
    OH, and Tobes not only loves the mall but can coordinate?! You are training lil man SO well, haha!
    xo Jess

    http://www.jessbirdloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a good save and transformation. I love vintage in a child's room. It's so cute. Is your son really named Toby. I was going to name our daughter that if she had been a boy.
    I look at catalogs like Pottery Barn and see pieces like this for "big time" prices. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! You did an AMAZING job! great find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... Great job! What an amazing find for $2.50!!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the distressed look. I have a wooden cabinet sitting in my garage BEGGING to be redone... now if I can just find the time!

    Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of?

    ReplyDelete
  21. $8.40?! That's fantastic, Tracey!! And sooooo cute!! You're right... this wee cabinet IS a little gem!!
    You've done a wonderful job :-)
    Victoria @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for linking up and oh wow, what a great little piece at an amazing price. I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the color, and the knobs. You did a great job. I can't believe how little you paid!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WHAT? Not even three dollars, I need to go shopping with you :) It looks amazing, you did a wonderful job! Have a great Friday!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  25. $2.50 what a deal! Those knobs are adorable! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  26. $2.50 for the makeover? wow.. that is soooo cool! turns out great too! awesome

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is very cute, I can't believe you did it in a day...well done! Did you paint the inside? I love the pattern on the top, I might have to steal that :) I have only done stripes once and I was so excited to see how they turned out I took the masking tape off before the paint was dry, haha...all was good though!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really cute! I love how it turned out :0)
    PS--Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think bedside stands are one of my favorite makeovers. I've done a few myself recently. Check them out if you have a sec! http://learnandgopollyco.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-twelve-dollar-beauty.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a perfect color - love it! and the knobs are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a sweet piece! I love little cabinets like this. Great storage and very multi-functional.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love reading every single one :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails